Sunday, September 19, 2010


It was my turn. A fellow captive murmured in my ear, “Lift your head. Act strong.”I approached the guards with uncertainty. The officer asked his first question, “What is your age?”
“Twenty-three.” I stated.
“Occupation?”
“I have graduated from a medical school.”
They ordered me to the right line. “No, I’m not a Jew. I have my papers.”
The guards stared at me with uncertainty. I withdrew a crumpled piece of paper from my pocket. I was relieved when the officer snatched the invaluable piece of paper and studied my birth certificate.
“My name is Kaia Eshkol. I live in a village in the Warthegau region of Poland. I’m a pure-blood German.” I stated.
“She is lying, to the right!” He ordered.
I sauntered to the right line. A hand snatched my wrist and held it in a vice grip. I turned in horror. The man wearing the long, white coat stared at me and spoke, “My name is Joseph Mengele. I am a doctor at Auschwitz. You claim you are a pure-blood German, 23 years of age and a qualified doctor?”.
“Yes.” I nodded my head reverently.
“Then you will be my student and I will educate you further, as you were educated at University. You will be my assistant Mrs. Eshkoll.” he stated. I stared, horrified at his large, brown eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment