Sunday, September 19, 2010


At five o’clock in the morning, I awoke and was given orders that I would be departing from Auschwitz.  I was given a large portion of bread, alongside hundreds of other prisoners who were being handed leather shoes with wooden soles. I formed part of the large crowd and I followed the leader of the group. As I walkd through the main gates of Auschwitz and stared at the looming, silver sign which read, "Albeit Macht Frei", I knew that this was my second chance at living life. None of us knew where we were travelling and over time, our feet became terribly painful. At noon, the sun was high and we just passed a town called Ldziny. We were ordered to sit down on the dead grass infront of a train station. As we travelled another three kilometres, we reached a village of Piast. Further on from this village was a camp called Janina. There were several other camps situated just kilometres apart. Finally, I reached Furstengrube (Noble Mine). This was to be my new home, however, it was situated a very short distance from Auschwitz 1. The two camps were only 16 kilometres apart.  

No comments:

Post a Comment