Sunday, September 19, 2010


I accompanied Mengele to the railhead today. It was déjà vu, standing there amongst all of the Jewish prisoners. I felt sickened as I watched children cry as their families were separated. The sight brought tears to my eyes. Mengele stated that I needed to learn to differentiate between the ‘weak’ and the ‘strong’. At one stage during the day, a woman bit and scrateched an SS Guard who attempted to separate herself from her thirteen year old daughter. Mengele drew a gun and shot both the woman and child. He then ordered all of the people who had been selected to work who were from the woman’s carriage to the gas chambers, yelling, “Away with this sh*t”. Prisoners referred to Mengele as, ‘The Angel of Death and it was at that precise moment that I understood why it was an appropriate nick-name. He stood at the front of the cword with his arms outstretched, wearing his long, white laboratory coat, signaling to the left or the right line as Jewish people approached.

No comments:

Post a Comment